There is a saying in the creative world, “The only limit is your imagination.” But sometimes, technology has limitations. At Slate, we’ve always aimed to push those boundaries, enabling creators to truly reflect their unique vision.
So, What’s New? ✨
Based on your feedback and requests, we’re thrilled to announce our Custom Dimensions feature. Gone are the days when you had to confine your creativity to the standard 1:1, 4:5, 9:16, or 16:9 ratios. Whether you’re designing for a niche platform, creating offline prints, or just experimenting with a fresh format, we’ve got you covered.
Go Beyond Social Media 🖥️
With an influx of requests to expand our design capabilities, we realized that our users have grown beyond just social media designs. Whether you’re a content creator, an advertiser, or an artist, you can now set adhoc custom sizes tailored to your specific needs.
How It Works:
- Customize Size: Enter your desired dimensions in pixels, and our tool will resize the canvas once both X & Y values are in place. Plus, we’ve added a nifty tool that calculates the aspect ratio, ensuring any filters or templates you use will match your custom size.
- Locking Aspect Ratio: Want to maintain a specific aspect ratio? You can lock it! Once locked, any changes you make will proportionally scale, ensuring your design’s consistency.
Handling Errors Like a Pro🤩:
Errors are inevitable, but handling them effectively is the game-changer. For videos, we’ve put in specific validations:
- Divisibility: Dimensions must be divisible by two. It ensures smooth processing and flawless output.
- Dimension Cap: There’s a cap on how big the dimensions can be. We strive for quality, and over-sized videos might compromise that. If your desired size doesn’t fit the criteria, worry not! We’ll suggest the closest matching size that maintains your aspect ratio, making sure your designs look great without any hitches.
The Fine Print (aka Constraints)❗️:
While we’re empowering you with these new capabilities, there are a few technical limitations for video exports:
- Dimensions need to be divisible by two.
- There’s a maximum size limit for exported dimensions.
- Videos can only be exported in Full HD
NOTE: Filters, templates and backgrounds are uploaded for 1:1, 4:5, 9:16, or 16:9 aspect ratios only. These assets cannot be used on any custom dimensions.
How will we evolve Custom Dimensions 🚀?
Every new feature brings new possibilities, Custom Dimensions is the first step towards a bigger feature we’re working hard to release towards the end of this year – Content Types. Content Types will give creators the ability to select from smarter defaults by either platform or content type, further expanding what’s possible in the Web Creation Studio.
But for now we’re eager to see the innovative ways you use Custom Dimensions. Dive in, experiment, and create something that’s never been done before in Slate! We’re supporting your journey every pixel of the way.
Dive into Custom Dimensions and experience the possibilities of creating your content in one place. Ready to take a look? Book a demo today.